Thursday, July 28, 2011

Summer at the lake??

Well, I am not sure what has happened to the heat wave???  It has rained for two days here, and today is overcast and cool. We did manage to get in a round of golf early this morning, and finished just as the rain started again. A huge storm went through the other night... this is the storm coming in across the lake....

But at least it was nice to sit inside and sew!  I started with a layer cake called Grand Fanale by Moda..

I used a pattern that I found at moda bakeshop called Boxed In Quilt. It is very quick and easy. This is the picture from the website......

It is a great tutorial, and easy to follow directions. The only thing I changed was that I made the first cut 1 1/2" instead of 1 1/4". I know it is a small change, but I found that the narrower first cut didn't leave any room for error....and I always need room for error, because I am sure to make one!!

The block are going together quickly...

I wasn't too sure about all the orange, I am not a orange lover, but I think there is enough brown, green and blue that it will be ok.

One cool thing here is that you cut out the 5x5" square in the center of each layer cake piece so you actually end up with a charm pack of the same material!  Now I will have to find a charm pack idea to use these up !


3 comments:

  1. THis is looking good. Love the fact you will have material for another project! This may be on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't get over how you just whip these things up so fast! I swear if it rained and cooled off here...I would be outside standing in it. It is too hot to leave the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great pattern. I have a couple of layer cakes and this might be just the idea - when I eventually get to them!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!