Friday, June 27, 2014

"Mother Earth" finished

Although I don't usually work with batiks, and not usually with these colours, I really love the look of this quilt.

The fabric is a Tonga Treats "Sugar Plum" pack, with some extra coordinating fabric for the sashing. The pattern took me awhile to figure out .......then I found it already written up as a tutorial over at Happy Quilting!! Melissa has done up this pattern, called Sugar Pop and Change for the Moda Bake Shop, and I am sure that her math and explanations are way better than mine!!

For the backing I used an Art Gallery fabric - Gypsy Glitter.  I love Art Gallery fabric!

I also added in the left over bits of batik, for a band of colour.

I mentioned before that I tried out a new FMQ design- continuous eights. It was inspired by a great tutorial by Rachel over at Stitched in Colour.

It was easy to do, especially on this quilt that had strips to help with the spacing, and it went very quickly. I was surprised how fast I got the whole thing quilted!

Anyway..it is finished, washed and all comfy ! 

and speaking of mother earth....the latest bloom in my back yard...


Linking up this finish to TGIFF this week over at Quokka Quilts.

5 comments:

  1. Now that lovely planter of flowers looks like it was your inspiration for fabric choices with this quilt. It is just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your irises! that would be a great quilt colour scheme... bigger photos please!!! there's still about 200 pixels space in a standard window - or maybe i should put my glasses on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love an Iris...and your quilt is lovely Flo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, looks awesome. Love the back so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful quilt!! I made a similar one using scraps for the center parts and a very dark purple for the sashing.
    I love your quilting, I'm going to have to try that. What sewing machine did you use? A long arm?
    Nice finish, it's a gorgeous quilt :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!