Friday, August 8, 2014

the shark has been tamed!

Well, it is finished!

This has been a big challenge for me! I guess challenges are always a learning experience though.
It started out like this... so I guess it has progress a long way!
If you haven't seen the previous posts, this is supposed to be a stylized version of the San Jose Sharks logo. My daughters boyfriend is a big fan, and they requested a duvet cover ...and gave me complete creative control   LOL.
 It was more difficult that I thought it would be, working with large pieces of fabric, no pattern and crawling around on the floor moving pieces around!

But I is done now!
I made an envelope closure on the back, and used buttons.  I put the buttons on the inside so that you cant see them. (and the puppy cant chew on them!)  Fortunately my sewing machine has a button hole maker, and even a button sewing is pretty cool! and fast!

Then last night I washed it up and stuffed the duvet into it. I will take it out to Calgary next week, and hope they like it.

Linking up to TGIFF..this week over at Quilt Matters.(this week I am TRULY happy to finished!!)
And over at Quilt Matters,  check out M-R's beautiful "Modern Totums" quilt...I love it!  

Friday, August 1, 2014

Zig Zag Happy Birthday!

I made a quilt for my sweet DIL for her birthday. She likes chevron patterns, so I thought I would make her a chevron quilt.

I tried out the "easy zig zag" quilt can find a great tutorial over at Crazy Mom Quilts. I didn't sew the long strips together,though,  I used 3" x 5 1/2 " blocks, so I could lay out the whole pattern first. I didnt have a lot of extra fabric, so had to do some shuffling.

This one is large, about 90" x 90"!  That was a bit challenging to quilt on my machine, but I just used straight lines, echoing the zig zags, so it wasn't a lot of turning the whole thing around anyway.

I know that usually the edges are cut off so the pattern extends all the way across, but I wanted to make this one larger, and didnt have more of the yellow patterned fabric, so added setting triangles and borders.
Each strip across is one fat quarter! I had been gathering different yellow print fat quarters for awhile, so there was a variety of them, but not extra yardage.

As usual, I didnt quite have enough of my backing fabric, so added some extra yellow, and the scraps from the front, but I think it really adds interest to the back anyway.

I gave it to her for her birthday, and I think she really liked it, and used it for her guests bed that very weekend! I love when a quilt gets put to use!

So that is my finish! Linking up to TGIFF....this week over at Quokka Quilts...
And "Finish it up Friday" at Crazy Mom Quilts.